Friday, February 1, 2008

Taco Meat in the Crockpot - GFCF

This is my all-time favorite recipe. There is absolutely no prep to this recipe. Just throw it all in, stir it up, and ignore how gross it looks. Six to seven hours later, stir it up again and voila you have "taco meat".

Use the meat for nachos, tacos, burritos, whatever your heart desires. And, of course, it's cheap...and GFCF. I found this recipe somewhere on the internet...not sure where... and adapted it to make it a bit cheaper.

Taco Meat in the Crockpot

2 lb. ground beef or turkey
1 1/2 c. dried pinto beans
1 medium onion, chopped
1 heaping tbsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. salt
2 packets GFCF taco seasonings or the equivalent of your own homemade mix
4 c. water

Put all in the crockpot. Stir till mixed. Cook on high for 6 to 8 hours. Stir and drain if necessary. Serve as desired.

This recipe serves our family of 7 for about $3.50 without toppings. We have enough leftover for our ASD son's lunch box. You can substitute dry onions in this recipe, just increase the water by 1/2 cup.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love to use the crock pot during winter, it makes things so easy. My family will love this!

Marilyn@A Mixed Bouquet said...

That sounds great! My son is in the Autism Spectrum, so I'm research the GFCF diet. Thanks!

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

great recipe! I am so going to try this. Thank you for commenting on my blog. That was so kind of you. I am glad you clicked from the Big Bloggy Move on me and vsitied. Stop by anytime! Have a wonderful snow day!!