Saturday, December 29, 2007

Satisfied with The Good Things

I'm a negative thinker. I come from a well-stocked gene pool of negative thinkers. Why God made me a pastor's wife is beyond my ken. Maybe 1 Corinthians 1:27 is the key...

But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise...

Negative thinking is a challenge. It's a challenge when trying to love five children. It's a challenge when trying to relate to a husband. It's a challenge when trying to serve a church.

If there's one verse that has helped me as a pastor's wife, it's Proverbs 17:28. I've toyed with making it my life verse.

Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent, and discerning if he
holds his tongue.

This verse works! I wish I had cash money for every time someone has complimented me on my gentleness, wisdom, accomplishments, peacefulness. My peacefulness!?! Ha!

But I've only mastered this verse in public settings. My family gets full view of my negativity and knows who I really am.

A few years ago I committed the first five verses of Psalm 103 to memory. I've decided to meditate on those verses, using them as a springboard for positive thinking. God has done many, many good things in my life. It's my goal with this blog to share them.

God has done some amazing and miraculous things in my life. I will share those. But God has also done equally wonderful things in small details of my life. I will share those too. So I have two self-imposed criteria for this blog: 1) share something good for me; 2) share something good for someone else.

Psalm 103

Praise the LORD, O my soul;
all my inmost being, praise his holy name.
Praise the LORD, O my soul,
and forget not all his benefits-
who forgives all your sins
and heals all your diseases,
who redeems your life from the pit
and crowns you with love and compassion,
who satisfies your desires with good things
so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's.

No comments: