Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Blessings of 2007

This year I'm finding myself indifferent to the New Year's holiday. It just seems like shuffling numbers to me. Sorry, but I just can't muster up the expectancy. I don't like doing New Year's resolutions. I don't need the extra pressure and guilt.

So I pondered how to observe this New Year on my blog. Resolutions are out. I don't want to dwell on the negatives of 2007. And 2007 had some. But I am committed to making this blog a place for positive things, not negative. And that's when it struck me...or rather God finally got my attention.

"Write down ten blessings of 2007."

I'm ashamed to say my first reaction was not so positive. But I got to thinking on it. And within a half hour I had my list and more. And I had a change of attitude.

And God says, "Exactly!"

So here goes...Ten Blessings of 2007:

  • The Pastor's & Wives Retreat at the Carlisle Inn, Sugarcreek, OH. Our church district holds an annual retreat for pastors and their wives each February at the Carlisle. We had never been. Our church picked up the tab and we spent two days in the lap of luxury. Oh, I get warm all over thinking about it. Note to self: find the reservation form for this year...
  • Disney World Vacation in May. We got to tack this one with our denomination's National Council in Orlando. Our family of seven got two weeks in a condo and spent ten days at DW! Friends let us borrow their van and our church had a gift of money waiting for us at conference registration. There was no other way we could have taken a family of 7 on that vacation! My absolute favorite was watching it all unfold through my five and six year old's eyes.

  • We were given a 2001 Toyota Sienna. It's tan, just like the picture above with leather seats. Given it! Free and clear, no debt, nothing. It was a gift, pure and simple. What can I say?
  • I worked on a team for the Women's Walk to Emmaus in September. I gave a talk on the Body of Christ. Something clearly supernatural happened during my talk. God seemed to inhabit the conference room. People felt His presence actually leave with me at the close. Afterwards I collapsed in tears and exhaustion and marvelled at what He had done. In that talk I shared our story, my husband's and mine. I will share it here some time in the future. But somehow that day God chose to inhabited that place in a way I rarely experience. This...this was the absolute highlight of 2007.

  • We started the GFCF diet with our ASD son in November. And since then we've seen improvement for which we're very thankful. His anger has decreased. He is making better eye contact. (We actually got some good Christmas pictures this year!) He has a sense of humor now. And he's conversing more with all of us. Thank you, Jesus!
  • My little neice Sarah came through her third heart procedure this year. It all went very smoothly. Prior procedures had not! Her OT sats are still a bit low. She probably faces another surgery with the year. But, in 2007, she came through with flying colors. We are truly thankful!

j4eaj3j1


  • I'm thankful for my children in 2007 and how they grew: physically, emotionally, spiritually. I'm thankful for their unique personalities and how they each stretch me and help me grow.

  • I'm thankful that our finances forced me to be creative this Christmas season. I got out my sewing machine and enjoyed making many presents for my extended family. It was a good feeling! Pictured is my daughter with an American Girl doll that I restored and made matching outfits for them both. Behind her is a teepee that I made for my son.

  • Starting in September we worked with four other couples in our denomination to plan the district Christmas banquet. This might not seem like a big deal. But I was so blessed to get to know these fellow workers better. We continue to feel more and more a part of this adopted family: The Christian & Missionary Alliance.

  • Celebrating Christmas with our church family was truly a blessing in 2007. Their generous giving helped us finish out this year in the black. We gained a new-to-us television which replaces one soon to give up the ghost. And we were able to worship our coming Savior together in two sacred services. God blessed us by showing up at our Christmas observances: even when many in our congregation were weary and distracted (including yours truly). Thank you, Father, for that gift.

Yes 2007 was a year of blessings. Because even during struggles, God is there; God is good. Always.

2 comments:

A Dusty Frame said...

Beth,
Thank you for participating! Wonderful blessings--wow a van!:) God is soooo good!

I see you're a soapmaker--I always wanted to try that but I never have.

I do Works of God Weekend every Friday so come back again ok:)
Lizzie

Beth said...

Yes, God is good. I'm reminded of that often as I follow your blog. It's been about a year now that I've watched your story unfold. Thanks for your transparency. It blesses many!