Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Frugal, Homemade, Aluminum-Free Baking Powder - WFMW


In our pursuit to remove all offenses from my autistic son's diet, aluminum-free baking powder is a must. I'm frugal at heart so throwing away my reserves of baking powder was painful! They were purchased for a small percentage of what aluminum-free baking powders cost.

Then I had one of those "duh" moments! I had completely forgotten about my Tightwad Gazette books. The detailed price comparisons of baking powders complete with homemade recipe had slipped my mind!


2 parts cornstarch, arrowroot, or tapioca starch/flour
1 part baking soda
1 part cream of tartar


The above recipe is good if you would like to pre-mix your baking powder. The cornstarch keeps the baking soda and cream of tartar from reacting. If absolute frugality is your goal then use this combination...

1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
in place of each teaspoon of baking powder in your recipe.

If you have a bulk foods store near you (we live near Amish communities) then you can find the cream of tartar at very reasonable prices, making your baking powder even more cost effective!

Cooking GFCF has not been good for the grocery budget. So I get excited when I stumble across little helps like this!

3 comments:

Pieces said...

Wow, I never knew that you could mix up your own baking powder. Great tip!

jim said...

You can also find Clabber Girl baking powder for reasonable prices. I also know the Tone's brand carried at Sam's Club is alum. free -- sold in a large size too.

Rebecca (Ramblings by Reba) said...

Very good! Like "Pieces," I thought baking power was just "born." (EEK!)