Thursday, January 10, 2008

Packing GFCF Lunches

Packing school lunches has been the hardest part of the GFCF diet for me, and I think for my son. He loved eating the hot lunches our little Christian school provided. I'm so thankful that Joseph is so easy going. He has rarely complained about the switch, but I can see the wistful look once in awhile.

So here is what has worked for us, so far...

  1. Leftovers from the night before. This is by far Joseph's favorite. We pack up a container of last night's Tortilla Chip Pie, Crock Pot Chili, or Enchiladas and he's a happy camper.
  2. Rice Crackers from the Oriental section of Kroger and cut-up GFCF deli meat. A homemade Lunchable!
  3. Peanut Butter on Health Valley Rice Bran Crackers. These crackers have a similar taste to Graham Crackers. I find them in the organic sections at both Kroger and Giant Eagle.
  4. Rolled GFCF deli meat. Sometimes I roll it plain, sometimes with a lettuce leaf. He likes it either way.
  5. GFCF bun made from Bob's Red Milk GF Bread Mix and a GFCF sausage pattie, with mustard of course!
  6. GFCF sliced bread (above brand) with GFCF deli meat.
  7. And on Friday, which is pizza day at our school, he gets homemade pizza using this recipe, topped with Ragu Organic Garden Vegetable Spaghetti Sauce and Hormel Pepperoni.

Only the protein/main dish is listed above. I find the rest of the lunch easy to pack. I try to include a fruit or vegetable and a GFCF cookie or tortilla chips. We have reusable juice boxes that I put in lemonade, 100% juice, or caffeine-free tea.

Packing GFCF lunches has forced me to think ahead more. But it's doable. And worth it, especially since we're now seeing more smiles and eye contact!

No comments: