Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Tortilla Chip Pie - GFCF Style

One of my favorite frugal recipes is Hillbilly Housewife's Tortilla Chip Pie. It's extremely easy to make this GFCF by leaving out the cheese and double checking that your chips, spices, and tomato sauce are GFCF. Here's my adaptation of the recipe for our large family and the GFCF diet. The picture at left is before the dish is baked.
Tortilla Chip Pie

4 - 15 oz. cans kidney beans, drained
2 lb. ground turkey
1 small onion, chopped
2 tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/4 tsp. pepper
4 - 8 oz. cans tomato sauce
tortilla chips

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Brown turkey and onions. Drain. Add
kidney beans, tomato sauce and spices. Let simmer five minutes or so. Pour into
9 x 13 baking pan or casserole of similar capacity. Top with tortilla chips,
poking them into the meat mixture. Bake for 20 minutes. You can serve this as is, or serve as a taco salad with lettuce, salsa, soy sour cream, etc.
I usually can make this dish for around $6, feeding a family of 7. I highly recommend sifting through the recipes at Hillbilly Housewife. She cooks very simply without using seasoning mixes, cream soups, pre-made sauces, etc. I find those factors make her recipes very frugal and easier to adapt for GFCF. I'll be highlighting her Beef Enchiladas next time we have them for supper. It's a wonderful recipe!!


1 comment:

Katie Gregg said...

Looks yummy. Hubby and I love all things Mexican, so I will have to give it a try. Thanks for sharing!