Wednesday, January 16, 2008

WFMW - Window Cleaner without Vinegar

Everyone is in love with vinegar these days. For good reason. But I'm not a fan of vinegar-based window cleaners. I love my tried and true Beverly Nye window cleaner recipe.

It takes rubbing alcohol and ammonia. *gasp*

I know, I know. It's harsher. But let me tell you what I have washed off my windows...and walls...and stove...and refrigerator with this stuff.

Finger grime, crayon, food, snot, grease, face prints, and unnamed substances I did not care to know their origin.

Eeewww.

And so I'll stick by my window cleaner and say..."It Works for Me!!"

Beverly Nye's Window Cleaner

1 pint water
4 tbsp. rubbing alcohol
4 tbsp. sudsy ammonia
squirt of food coloring if desired.

Mix and pour into a spray bottle.

4 comments:

Kristin - The Goat said...

I have always wondered about food coloring in things like this -- is it distributed so much that it really is negligible and won't color my walls?

This looks like a real easy recipe - Thanks so much!

Beth said...

The food coloring doesn't affect anything. You're right, with just a couple drops it's highly diluted. And keep in mind, store bought window cleaner has coloring also. The only reason I sometimes use color is so I can tell my bottles of cleaner apart.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this non-vinegar recipe. Everytime I try to save the planet and use vinegar, I end up obsessing about french fries until I get them! Your concoction can't bring to mind anything edible, I hope!

And I love your blog design. I Can Fly is one of my daughter and my favourite little books of all time. Such an excellent message!

Thanks again for a great tip!

Beth said...

A fellow Golden Book lover! Thanks for leaving a comment, Jacquelyn. I hope the cleaner helps you fight your cravings! :)